Friday, June 11, 2010

I did it! Part 1

Wow! What a weekend! I am finally sitting down to record my reflections and details about the competition last Saturday. I have run the gauntlet of emotion - anger, disappointment, excitement, joy and on and on and on........ And the lessons I have learned!

So the whole spray tan thing is really ODD! Thursday I went for coat one - I have NEVER been that dark. At the tanning I learned that I could only have one more shower before the competition - gross! But that is just the way it was. Friday morning I woke up with nice finger prints on my chest, color all of my hands and feet! I took the last shower and washed my hair. This was a big deal because I had everything all planned out - this is based off of beauty too, right? And now I had to go with day old dirty hair! The comfort was everyone doing this would have the same! And on we went for coat two. Holy cow! I felt freaky!

Saturday came really fast! I was there bright and early for the athletes meeting (added a new way of thinking about this to be called an athlete :)). Registration presented a new option! The show had 2 competitions in one - the first everyone was automatically entered in for the division they had chosen and then you could pay to compete in the lesser known Arizona State competition. So I thought it would be cool to sign up in one of my divisions knowing if no one else did I would be the default winner and hold the Arizona state title.

Drug testing was a new experience! All of us women were herded into the bathroom and took our turn to pee in a cup in front of the ABA representative. OK - never had to do that before! But the ABA/INBA are very proud of the fact that they are very strict on being drug free and all of their contestants are natural!

There were two rooms back stage and of course you had to walk through the area for the men to get to the women's area. I am not normally intimidated by much, but it was WAY weird to have to walk through a room of men wearing only Speedo like suits, lifting weights and greasing up! I kinda squinted my eyes, put my head down, held by breath and ran through! As the day went on, it got easier and felt less weird!

All was great getting ready - Pam is an excellent body oil evidently, so in true show fashion I got greased up! Felt like a muffin pan, but boy did I look good! HA HA! Getting on stage for the first time was scary! I had my heart pounding almost out of my chest. But it got easier and easier every time I went out! The expediter - can't remember her name - was awesome! She really coached us, pointed out what we needed to do and corrected us on stage to help improve our appearance! I was surprised and very thankful for all of this coaching!

We had two shows - the AM prejudging - and how misleading is that - It was all of the judging! And the the evening show - complete with music and more entertainment style!

The evening was more fun for me! The music really helped me feel more relaxed, and knowing what to do and expect helped a ton too!

This is getting really, really long so Part 2 coming soon - the JUDGING and results, plus pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment